What’s something your child does that triggers you? Maybe it’s sneaking sweets or doing something they knew was wrong because a friend encouraged them to. Usually, the behaviors that trigger us the most are the ones that make us fear for our child’s future and the kind of adult they’ll become. Unfortunately, when we go down this rabbit hole, we are actually projecting our own fears onto our child and no longer parenting from a neutral, empathetic place.
The nemesis to peaceful parenting is what I call fear-based parenting because it quickly leads to dysregulation and disconnection with our child. When we practice FBP, we teach our child that something about them is wrong and needs to be hidden from the world. Where fear demands control and compliance, neutral parenting allows us to guide our kids with connection and cooperation.
This week, I explain why the best thing we can do when we’re triggered is to get neutral. I share some tools to help you show up for your kids in a neutral way, and show you how to use these tools to get away from fear-based parenting.
If you want to take the next step to become a better parent, come and check out The Hive. It’s a one-of-a-kind community that serves parents who want ongoing support with their peaceful parenting journey and gives you everything you need to move along the path to peaceful parenting. Ready to become the parent you’ve always wanted to be? Click here to join The Hive now, I cannot wait to welcome you to the community.
What You’ll Learn from this Episode:
- Why our triggers are often our own fears.
- Why fear-based parenting is the opposite of peaceful parenting.
- How to stay neutral when you’re triggered.
- How parenting from a neutral place creates connection and trust.
- How to recognize your own fears.
Listen to the Full Episode:
Featured on the Show:
- Click here to sign up for my free Peaceful Parenting mini-course! You’ll find everything you need to continue on the path to peaceful parenting over there just waiting for you.
- If this episode spoke to you, or you have a suggestion for a future episode or a question you’d like me to answer on the show, email us or message us on Instagram.
Full Episode Transcript: