Every week, I talk a lot about triggers. I encourage you to take notice of what they are, understand why they’re there, think about where they come from, and decide what thoughts we marinade in to support them. And the more you practice being a real-world peaceful parent, the more you recognize the triggers that dysregulate you. But triggers aren’t the only thing that dysregulates you, and today, I’m pointing out something else that does: a conflict of needs.
Collisions and conflicts of needs arise when the immediate needs of one person intersect with the immediate needs of another, in this case, a parent and a child. We’ve all experienced the power struggle, but what exactly do you do in this situation?
In this episode, I’m sharing a real-life scenario from a member of The Hive involving a conflict of needs and how she dealt with it. Hear some practical advice, tips, and guidance to help you navigate these circumstances, why your kids need to get into the habit of managing their big emotions and how you can help them do so, and what you can do right in the moment of a power struggle with your child when there is a conflict of needs.
Sign up now for the FREE Keep Calm and Parent On challenge starting on Monday, August 15th, 2022, where I’ll be giving you some tips, tools, ideas and coaching to create connection and cooperation in your home. You can participate from anywhere in the world and all it will require for you to make a massive change in your parenting is one hour a day. Are you ready to transform your parenting? Click here to register for the challenge now.
What You’ll Learn from this Episode:
- Some reasons you storm alongside your kids.
- How to give your kids the freedom to feel their big feelings and manage them in ways that are healthy and safe for themselves and everyone around them.
- Why kids are entitled to all of their feelings, even the uncomfortable ones.
- How power struggles may manifest when there is a conflict of needs.
- What to do when you feel dysregulated due to a conflict of needs.
- My advice for dealing with a conflict of needs between you and your child.
Listen to the Full Episode:
Featured on the Show:
- Click here to sign up for my free Peaceful Parenting mini-course! You’ll find everything you need to continue on the path to peaceful parenting over there just waiting for you.
- If you have a suggestion for a future episode or a question you’d like me to answer on the show, email us or message us on Instagram
Full Episode Transcript: