A dynamic I talk about with many of you is when you do 80-90% of the work parenting in your household, while your co-parent does 10-20%. Usually this is a role that you’ve slipped into because it works for your family and your co-parent does most of the other heavy lifting. However, imagine you’re in a situation where you step out for whatever reason and your co-parent has to take over parenting for that elusive 10% of the time. During that time when you’re at the gym or with friends or helping your mom, your co-parent texts you a question about the kids or unloads on you about the past few hours as soon as you get home.
This might be a situation that happens often and you struggle with feeling empathy for your partner while also feeling resentful and frustrated. I share the key to unwinding this hot mess is in this episode, and it starts with being honest about your thoughts and feelings.
In this episode, I explain why it’s essential to communicate and set boundaries in this frustrating situation. I discuss why it’s important to recognize that your co-parent has a completely different skill set from you and why that means it’s okay for them to struggle sometimes.
If you want to take the next step to become a better parent, come and check out The Hive. It’s a one-of-a-kind community that serves parents who want ongoing support with their peaceful parenting journey and gives you everything you need to move along the path to peaceful parenting. Ready to become the parent you’ve always wanted to be? Click here to join The Hive now, I cannot wait to welcome you to the community.
What You’ll Learn from this Episode:
- Why this uneven dynamic happens.
- Why it’s okay to let your co-parent struggle.
- How to communicate your needs to your partner.
- Why you want to feel empathy for your co-parent.
- Why not communicating contributes to you “keeping score.”
Listen to the Full Episode:
Featured on the Show:
- Click here to sign up for my free Peaceful Parenting mini-course! You’ll find everything you need to continue on the path to peaceful parenting over there just waiting for you.
- If this episode spoke to you, or you have a suggestion for a future episode or a question you’d like me to answer on the show, email us or message us on Instagram.
Full Episode Transcript: