Research has shown that the more you resort to punishment, the less likely your child will want to cooperate. The only way we can encourage change in our children is by building trust. Without trust, your child feels wronged, which leads to lashing out and long-term behavioral patterns.
Raising emotionally grounded adults is a journey; it is not an easy path, but it is what is needed to create thriving adults. Children who question, who feel seen, heard, and valued, are children that trust their parents and build healthy relationships throughout their lives.
This week, I share how I discovered that threatening, dominating, commanding, and enforcing punishments are not the best way to communicate or make a change in my child. Finding methods to connect with my child to create a strong internal compass, learn how to regulate, and build skills was a game changer. Tune in to move away from dominating and toward collaboration with your child today.
If you want to take the next step to become a better parent, come and check out The Hive. It’s a one-of-a-kind community that serves parents who want ongoing support with their peaceful parenting journey and gives you everything you need to move along the path to peaceful parenting. Ready to become the parent you’ve always wanted to be? Click here to join The Hive now, I cannot wait to welcome you to the community.
What You’ll Learn from this Episode:
- Why threats do not teach behavioral change.
- Why punishment erodes relationships.
- Why broken trust can build lifelong destructive behaviors.
- How to identify if you grew up in a dominating parented environment.
- Why people-pleasers, rebels and those in deep despair are a result of punishment.
- What a questioning child is a sign of.
Listen to the Full Episode:
Featured on the Show:
- Click here to sign up for my free Peaceful Parenting mini-course! You’ll find everything you need to continue on the path to peaceful parenting over there just waiting for you.
- If this episode spoke to you, or you have a suggestion for a future episode or a question you’d like me to answer on the show, email us or message us on Instagram.
- Alfie Kohn
Full Episode Transcript: