When we see our children struggling, there is an impulse for us to swoop in and rescue their big emotions. It is a natural response to want to rescue the humans we care about, especially if we know or can see the solution, and we find ourselves wanting to fix the situation for them.
So often we think our job as a parent is to rescue, motivate, and solve problems for our kids, especially when they are upset or in pain. But what if your job as a parent isn’t always to rescue and make suggestions? What if this isn’t the best way to serve our kids?
In this episode, hear why we want to rescue our children from their uncomfortable emotions and why doing so is unintentionally invalidating their feelings and creating disconnection. I’m sharing four steps you can use when you feel yourself going into rescue, fix, or solve mode, and showing you how to create more trust and connection with your kids.
If you want to take the next step this spring to become a better parent, come and check out The Hive. It’s a one-of-a-kind community that serves parents who want ongoing support with their peaceful parenting journey and gives you everything you need to move along the path to peaceful parenting. Ready to become the parent you’ve always wanted to be? Click here to join The Hive now, I cannot wait to welcome you to the community.
What You’ll Learn from this Episode:
- How you might be unintentionally invalidating your child’s feelings.
- Why we want our kids to know that we are a safe space for them to feel their big negative emotions.
- How you might be sending a message to your kids that it isn’t safe to feel negative emotions.
- What holding space means and how you can do it.
- The reason you want to rescue your children’s big emotions.
Listen to the Full Episode:
Featured on the Show:
- Click here to sign up for my free Peaceful Parenting mini-course! You’ll find everything you need to continue on the path to peaceful parenting over there just waiting for you.
- If you have a suggestion for a future episode or a question you’d like me to answer on the show, email us or message us on Instagram
Full Episode Transcript: