It is said that love is not a “giving of” it is an “entering into,” and the way we often try to enter into love with our children is to empathize. But our children are not necessarily looking for someone to relate to them, they are looking for somebody to actively listen to them.
It is an incredible gift to be able to show empathy, understanding, and sensitivity towards others in their emotions as a means of support and connection. But how do you know when this empathy goes too far? What happens when you internalize their experience and end up missing your child’s primary need to feel seen, heard, and validated?
In this episode, I’m showing you how to practice showing up for your kids and staying present in each moment, without invalidating their experiences. Discover what active listening is, how it can benefit your connection with your children, and how to empathize, not internalize.
If you want to take the next step this spring to become a better parent and you would like to be a future success story, come and check out The Hive. It’s a one-of-a-kind community that serves parents who want ongoing support with their peaceful parenting journey and gives you everything you need to move along the path to peaceful parenting. Ready to become the parent you’ve always wanted to be? Click here to join The Hive now, I cannot wait to welcome you to the community.
What You’ll Learn from this Episode:
- How active listening opens our minds to learning.
- The effect that internalizing can have on your relationship with your kids.
- How presuming your children’s thoughts and feelings actually prevents you from hearing what your kids are telling you.
- What is really happening when you internalize the experience of others.
- The problem with deciding you know someone else’s journey.
- One of the greatest tools available to you in your parenting.
- Why it is not your job to fix or guide every single conversation with your child.
Listen to the Full Episode:
Featured on the Show:
- Click here to sign up for my free Peaceful Parenting mini-course! You’ll find everything you need to continue on the path to peaceful parenting over there just waiting for you.
- If you have a suggestion for a future episode or a question you’d like me to answer on the show, email us or message us on Instagram
Full Episode Transcript: