Around the age of 12, many kids start to show a great need for autonomy. Your sweet little one that has always functioned somewhat comfortably in your protective shadow might suddenly want to make all the decisions and choices on their own, and be in control of everything they think, feel and do.
It can feel like autonomy in teens magically shows up one day out of the blue and whammies us as parents. Even though it is natural, inevitable, and healthy, it can be one of the most difficult stages to parent, as many teenagers start testing boundaries and defying rules and expectations just because they can. So how do you survive this parenting stage?
In this episode, I’m sharing more about why teenagers suddenly need more freedom and autonomy and some ways you can satisfy this need for your own teen. I’m sharing an amazing exercise you can do together to teach your teen about autonomy, and 8 tools you can implement when your teen is begging for more freedom.
If you want to take the next step to become a better parent, come and check out The Hive. It’s a one-of-a-kind community that serves parents who want ongoing support with their peaceful parenting journey and gives you everything you need to move along the path to peaceful parenting. Ready to become the parent you’ve always wanted to be? Click here to join The Hive now, I cannot wait to welcome you to the community.
What You’ll Learn from this Episode:
- Why you shouldn’t punish your teenager when they try to get more freedom.
- How mistakes are inevitable, especially during the teen years, and how to teach your child to learn from them, not avoid them.
- What autonomy is and why your teenager suddenly needs it.
- The benefits of having a proactive conversation with your teenager about freedom and autonomy.
- Why it is healthy and normal for your teen to want more autonomy.
- How to stop taking it personally if your teenager wants more freedom in their lives.
- A fantastic way to teach your teenager to set and keep limits for themselves.
Listen to the Full Episode:
Featured on the Show:
- Click here to sign up for my free Peaceful Parenting mini-course! You’ll find everything you need to continue on the path to peaceful parenting over there just waiting for you.
- If you have a suggestion for a future episode or a question you’d like me to answer on the show, email us or message us on Instagram
Full Episode Transcript: