What are your expectations of your kids? If you get real honest, do you expect your kids to know what you want when you want it? I get it, no judgment. We all have a manual for how we expect other people to behave. But having expectations without communicating them can create pre-meditated resentment, and often they do. This leads to storming and a lack of connection, but the great news is that we can purposely wire our brains to serve us better.
Expectations are just thoughts about something that might happen, or that we think should happen in the future. Every human being has expectations, but so often, especially around this time of year, we have silent expectations of our kids, that we don’t communicate. Some expectations are great especially when it comes to parenting, but others, like these silent ones, create pre-meditated resentment.
In this episode, I’m diving deeper into expectations, resentment, and parenting and showing you how to get clear on your own expectations of your kids. I’m sharing what expectations really are, two things that are working against us in our parenting, why you need to communicate the expectations you have for other people, and how not doing so can lead to storming.
If you want to take the next step to become a better parent, come and check out The Hive. It’s a one-of-a-kind community that serves parents who want ongoing support with their peaceful parenting journey and gives you everything you need to move along the path to peaceful parenting. Ready to become the parent you’ve always wanted to be? Click here to join The Hive now, I cannot wait to welcome you to the community.
What You’ll Learn from this Episode:
- How to stop allowing random thoughts to take up airtime in your brain.
- One of the biggest reasons we end up storming alongside our kids.
- A way that your thoughts control you and how to stop allowing this.
- What happens when I set high expectations for my son that I haven’t communicated with him.
- Three categories to put your expectations into and how to do this continuously.
- Why you might be experiencing a gap in connection in your parenting.
- An example of an ugly expectation that you need to get rid of.
Listen to the Full Episode:
Featured on the Show:
- Click here to sign up for my free Peaceful Parenting mini-course! You’ll find everything you need to continue on the path to peaceful parenting over there just waiting for you.
- If you have a suggestion for a future episode or a question you’d like me to answer on the show, email us or message us on Instagram.
Full Episode Transcript: