It’s officially that time of year when many parents may find themselves using the holidays as an opportunity to get their kids to behave in the ways they want. If you ever tell your kids that Elf on the Shelf is watching and will tell Santa if they misbehave, or find yourself saying things like “naughty kids don’t get gifts!” or “that’s it, I’m calling Santa!” I’m talking to you! You don’t want to miss this episode.
This week’s episode is a re-record of an episode from around this time last year, but I thought that it was so important we touch on this topic as we enter the holiday season that I’m bringing it to you again to go over it one more time. You can choose between making the holidays a time of connection and cooperation or a time of compliance and fear-based parenting. Which one will you choose?
In this episode, I’m giving you a fresh perspective on Elf on the Shelf and showing you how to use it for connection and cooperation, not threats and punishments. I’m encouraging you to move away from bribery, rewards, and fear-based parenting around the holidays and showing you why you need to keep in mind that they can bring extra stress, excitement, intensity, and anxiety for your kids, without them knowing Elf on the Shelf is watching their every move.
If you want to take the next step to become a better parent, come and check out The Hive. It’s a one-of-a-kind community that serves parents who want ongoing support with their peaceful parenting journey and gives you everything you need to move along the path to peaceful parenting. Ready to become the parent you’ve always wanted to be? Click here to join The Hive now, I cannot wait to welcome you to the community.
What You’ll Learn from this Episode:
- Why Elf on the Shelf shouldn’t be used as surveillance for your kids.
- How to move away from fear-based parenting during the holidays.
- Where I first realized fear-based parenting during the holidays was happening.
- Some tips to help you use Elf on the Shelf in a more compassionate way.
- The problem with using fear-based parenting around the holidays.
- How to create more connection and cooperation with your kids around the holidays.
Listen to the Full Episode:
Featured on the Show:
- Click here to sign up for my free Peaceful Parenting mini-course! You’ll find everything you need to continue on the path to peaceful parenting over there just waiting for you.
- If you have a suggestion for a future episode or a question you’d like me to answer on the show, email us or message us on Instagram.
Full Episode Transcript: