Many of you are parenting in a very different way than the way you were parented. And when your parents or in-laws don’t agree with your parenting, they can feel invited to weigh in and share their unwanted, unwarranted opinion. It leaves many of us doing what we’ve always done: comply, avoid, placate, and enable their behavior, because we’re not willing to risk conflict. So what do you do?
One of the major roadblocks many of us have on the road to peaceful parenting is our relationship with our own parents. They can be well-meaning and involved, but they are dominant. But you do not have to parent in the way your parents did, and it is possible to break the generational cycle and show up as the peaceful parent you want to be, even when your parents don’t agree. All it requires is for you to set boundaries.
This week I offer you a chance to become the cycle breaker you want to be by learning how to take small steps in setting boundaries with your parents, even when it feels wildly uncomfortable to do so. Discover why setting boundaries is always for yourself and never about the other person, and how to finally start taking control of your thoughts and actions when certain situations arise.
If you want to learn how to model different behavior for your kids, I have answers, and I’m sharing them in my upcoming masterclass. I will teach you exactly why your kids storm and exactly how to use those storms to create connection and cooperation with your kids, and I have a seat saved for you. It’s on Tuesday, February 28th, 2023, and is 100% FREE. Click here to sign up now, I can’t wait to see you there.
What You’ll Learn from this Episode:
- Why it is possible to parent in the way you want, whether or not your parents agree with it.
- Why boundaries aren’t about changing the other person, they are about protecting yourself.
- How to save your energy and stop trying to change your parents.
- The problem with trying to change other people’s behavior.
- Why you are not powerless when it comes to your parenting.
- The reason it feels so uncomfortable to set boundaries with your parents.
- Why it is possible to have boundaries with your parents and still be respectful.
Listen to the Full Episode:
Featured on the Show:
- Click here to sign up for my free Peaceful Parenting mini-course! You’ll find everything you need to continue on the path to peaceful parenting over there just waiting for you.
- If this episode spoke to you, or you have a suggestion for a future episode or a question you’d like me to answer on the show, email us or message us on Instagram.
Full Episode Transcript: